It’s never too late for a beautiful smile!
Orthodontics for Adults
Straight Teeth Are Healthy Teeth
We have many adult patients in our practice! Most grownups who get orthodontic treatment do so because they realize that taking care of your smile is part of taking care of yourself.
The fact is, sometimes adults didn’t have the opportunity to see an orthodontist as children and so never had braces. Nevertheless, orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age!
There are many more benefits to straight teeth than just aesthetics. For one thing, straight teeth are easier to clean and keep healthy. In addition, a good bite can prevent potential wear and tear on the enamel of the teeth and help the jaw muscles function better together.
Here are some things to look for when deciding if orthodontics may be of benefit to you:
- Upper front teeth protrude excessively over the lower teeth, or you can’t close your lips comfortably (bucked teeth).
- Upper front teeth cover the majority of the lower teeth when biting together (deep bite).
- Upper front teeth are behind or inside the lower front teeth (underbite).
- The upper and lower front teeth do not touch when biting together (open bite).
- The teeth are crowded together or overlap.
- The center of the upper and lower teeth do not line up.
- You have difficulty chewing.
- Teeth are wearing unevenly or excessively.
- Lower jaw shifts to one side or the other when biting together.
- There is excessive space between one or more of the teeth.
In addition, chronic snoring in older patients can be more than merely a loud, disruptive social problem that interrupts sleep and strains relationships. More importantly, it can be a sign of a potentially life-threatening disorder called “obstructive sleep apnea,” or OSA. If you have noticed one or more of the aforementioned symptoms, maybe you could benefit from a consultation with an orthodontist. We enjoy working with our adult patients and have many treatment options that work with their busy lifestyles.